To reap the benefits of SEO, you must have a strong SEO content marketing strategy, and we know that creating relevant, quality content requires a large investment.
But it doesn’t always have to be this way. Repurposing existing content can help you get the most out of your resources and still achieve great results. By taking advantage of what you already have, you can save time and money while getting optimal returns on your investment.
What is content repurposing, and what can it accomplish? Read on to learn how publishing repurposed content can benefit your SEO content marketing strategy.
What is content repurposing?
Repurposing content involves reusing or updating existing content to create something fresh and new. This allows marketers to reach new audiences with less effort in comparison to creating completely new content. There are a few different ways this can be done:
- Revive underperforming content. We all know the frustration of working hard on a piece of content and not getting the traction you had hoped for. Identify content that has been living on your website for a while but has failed to drive SEO. If you are confident that the content is valuable, resharing it gives it another chance to get the attention it deserves.
- Repurpose top-performing material. If your audience has responded well to specific content in the past, chances are it will have the same results the second time around. Capitalize on strong results and boost visibility even further!
- Refresh an old post. Often, content just gets dated, with the overall message remaining relevant. In these cases, replacing all facts and statistics with updated information can be beneficial.
- Reuse content in different formats. To increase reach, try incorporating a multichannel approach, like converting a blog post on your website into multiple social media posts. Have a lot of data displayed online? Create visuals, like infographics, to broaden engagement. Try turning how-to blogs into video tutorials. These are just a couple of ideas to consider when you have strong content but find your site isn’t getting traffic.
How does this benefit your SEO content marketing strategy?
Maintain up-to-date content
- Revising existing content signals to search engines that you are sharing relevant, up-to-date information, improving the likelihood of your content ranking and getting more clicks.
- Fresh content has a major influence on ranking when it comes to trending topics and news.
Reach new audiences
- Conducting new keyword research gives you the opportunity to see how search volume and intent may have changed in the time since the piece was published. From there, you can rework it to optimize the content and reach new people.
- Converting content to a new format and sharing it on other channels can also help you reach a wider target audience across numerous platforms.
- Leveraging the content research, development, and optimization that your team has already completed saves time and money. It’s faster and easier to repurpose what you already have than to create something completely original.
- It takes effort to create content that is high-quality and valuable, and it’s a shame to publish it once and then have it sit unnoticed on your website. You can get more out of each piece when you repurpose content!
Improves authority/link equity
- Improve your website’s authority rank by giving old posts fresh backlinks from authoritative sources.
Tips for repurposing content
- Recycling existing content may seem simple, but it is important to begin with a goal to ensure your approach is intentional.
- Do you want to start ranking for a new, specific keyword? Share on social media platforms to drive traffic to the website? Recover lost rankings on existing keywords? Set your goals before continuing!
Go through content library
- Identify what pieces need to be updated, what topics are still relevant, and what could be valuable to reshare with your audience!
- Select the information that can be converted to other forms of content, like visuals, videos, podcasts, etc.
Use analytics to choose what’s repurposed
- Analyze the habits and behaviours of your target audience to see what they are searching for and what they will engage with.
- Determine why pieces that were popular in the past had the success they did and keep that in mind when replicating.
Create fresh content without spending more on your content strategy than you have to! Get the most out of your content library with our advice. Reach out and we can help you explore content repurposing.